31.03.2014

Interview with Ms.Kaddy Beck - International Baccalaureate coordinator in Baku, Azerbaijan

Personal Information:
Name: Kaddy Beck
Country: United Kingdom
Occupation: International Baccalaureate coordinator in Baku, Azerbaijan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-What mostly attracts you in teaching?

Being with young people. Motivating them and helping them to achieve their dreams.

-Tell us a little about your experience, have you ever worked in international schools out of your home country?

I have never actually worked in a proper international school. Outside of the UK, the schools I have worked in have all been bilingual schools, with mostly national students who are learning English.  Colombia and two different schools in France. In the Gambia I was a volunteer working in a missionary school for local students.

-The most difficult time of your profession.

The most difficult times are always when you are asked to do something that you don’t agree with, or that you know won’t work. This happened in the UK when the school I was working in wanted upper school students (16 – 18 years old) to be given after school detentions as punishments for doing something wrong. I found this really difficult.

- The most memorable moment from the school practices.

I had a student who was passionate about Biology, but had never been successful in any academic subject before. I watched him grow in confidence and in the end he managed to pass IB Higher level Biology. Nobody thought it was possible. But he did it.

-What do you see as the perfect pupil, and do actually ideal pupils exist?

No. And if I did think that the perfect pupil existed, then I couldn’t be a teacher.

-The most important quality of a teacher, in your opinion.

Empathy.

-How do you deal with stress at work?

I suppose that I just take things as they come – one thing at a time.

-What is the greatest lack of modern education?

I have no idea what modern education is. For me education is just education. It is when you work with students to develop their understanding of your subject, their analytical skills. It is when you teach them how to learn. I think that this is what education has always been about. The problem is when teachers think that it is about them.

-What would you advise to parents, when they choose a school for their children?

As a parent myself, I really don’t know how to answer this question. I made awful choices. Maybe you could look at the faces of the children in the school? Talk to the teachers? But even then, the school is only as good as the teacher that your child has.

-3 words characterizing your teaching style


Learning facilitation, constructivist, enthusiastic